06 November 2012

Rare Train Delays


Today I sat at a station for probably about 20-30 minutes and I have
no idea why. There were so many announcements but there were so few
keywords I could pick out that I was totally lost as to what the cause
was.

My guess is that it was weather related but I really couldn't tell you.

**********

I wrote the above line while trapped on a train in Chuo-Rinkan today. I was staring out the train window, lost in a podcast when I noticed we had stopped at a train station for a lengthy amount of time.

I took off my headphones and noticed people looking around at each other and pulling out phones to dial. Finally, my train moved a bit and sped off. I decided I was going to switch to a local train at the next stop just in case. When we arrived at the next station, the train came to a stop but it's doors did not open.

We started to roll forward and then stopped again.

The doors slid open and I dashed for my usual train labeled "Katase-Enoshima". I grabbed a seat and looked up at the display to check my route. On the screen was "Sagami-Ono" which is the opposite direction! So I immediately got off the train and followed the unusually large crowd down the steps in hopes to hop to the other side of the track or see a display with any details. All Japanese of course. 

Person Accident? :(
I did happen to notice that people were gathering around a random table with baskets filled with slips of paper covered in Kanji. I snagged one and did a "quick" translation on my phone. They were complimentary transfer tickets. 

I noticed a short English message that said there was a delay due to a person related accident. Did someone get hit? That sounds awful. None of the times had been updated on the schedule though so I had to ask someone for some kind of direction.

I went up to a ticket window and blurted out "Zengyo?" and the lady there responded with a string of nonsensical Japanese (to me anyway) and "Shonandai" and pointed to a staircase that led to a subway line toward Yokohama. 

I took a chance and hopped on the first train headed there. I totally lucked out. I ended up taking the long way and made it to a transfer point where I completed my journey. 

This whole ordeal doubled my commute. 

I really wish I could speak/understand Japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment